Saturday, February 5, 2011

Vivian Campbell on Row with DIO, Joining Thin Lizzy and Leaving Def Leppard?

Vivian Campbell was recently interviewed by Classic Rock where he spoke about a few of his bands. Vivian Campbell was well known for playing with Ronnie James Dio on the Holy Diver and Sacred Heart albums. He said he had not spoken to Ronnie in 25 years. A few years RJD blasted him and was caught on video. He did later apologize apparently.

Vivian spoke about Dio's death for the first time publicly.  Vivian's mother had died ten previously and his father that year so he was numbed.
“The news about Ronnie James Dio just bounced off me. It was a difficult relationship on a personal level anyway. I was really proud of the music we made together but it was tough being in a band together. But he died way too young.”

Vivian Campbell with Def Leppard (Source: Weatherman90)
He also said that being in Thin Lizzy was more interesting than playing in Def Leppard. 

He is touring with Thin Lizzy at the moment with Scott Gorham and Ricky Warwick (The Almighty). He said in other words he found Def Leppard a bit boring.

“It’s very exciting – it’s reconnected me to the electric guitar. I’ve been in Def Leppard for 20 years and if I’m honest it’s not a terribly challenging job for me as a guitar player. Phil Collen plays most of the widdly parts and I do what I do. But this job has reignited my love for guitar playing.”

It had looked like he had settled in Def Leppard but could this be the sound of him leaving. He had done a solo blues album in recent years, The Two Side of If in 2005.  So he mustn't have really enjoyed that as much as Lizzy.

For Guitars For Beginners I recommend Holy Diver and Rainbow In The Dark as easy guitar songers for beginners to play.  Well the rhythm not the lead solo.

Sources Rush on Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment